Personal standouts within Slayer Girls & Monster Boys:
- "Verse chorus verse" by Leigh Bardugo - a teen superstar lands herself in 'rehab' but sinister things happen that make this a not so sweet retreat to get her life on track.
- "Sleepless" by Jay Kristoff - inspired by Hitchcock's Psycho, readers are in for a creepy treat. Full of Kristoff's trademark edgy humor.
- "Dark, scary parts and all" by Danielle Paige - set in high school and heavy with Frankenstein and Dracula allusions. The school outcast encounters bullying and other drama with a surprise supernatural twist.
- "Fat girl with a knife" by Jonathan Maberry - a short story about a high school outcast but what happens when the bullied girl is your best defense at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.
- "Girl without a face" by Marie Lu - great, creep imagery. This one will give readers chills!
- "Stitches" by A.G. Howard - super, super creepy! A young girl agrees to dismember her father over time as part of his penance for other deeds.
Each story is inspired by a song, film or another literary reference. By far my favorite was "Sleepless". In fact, a week later, I'm still pretty creeped out!
Final rating: 4 out of 5 stars
#YAlit #teen #anthology #shortstories #bookreview #horror #scary #slashergirls&monsterboys
Verse chorus verse /Leigh Bardugo