How about trying a mystery, detective, or crime centered book club? This is a great chance to get teens reading and provide an opportunity for discussion. Things to consider: time, participation, and availability of titles.
Below are just a few title considerations. There are plenty more you could choose!
Such a program could be organized in several ways:
- Pick two or three titles for a scheduled monthly meeting. Make sure you have sufficient copies of the books.
- Pick one title for a single summer book club.
- This would be a great idea for a book v. movie/television program and discussion.
- i.e. Pretty Little Liars or even Sherlock Holmes
- Host the mystery book club as an open book talk. Participants can come to discuss their favorite books in this genre based on past reads or along with a book list or display you have up for the summer.
If program planning doesn't allow for a book club meeting...
Consider a mystery, detective, or crime book display to coincide with this year's theme. There are some great ideas on Pinterest. Signage might say:
- Once upon a crime...
- It would be a crime NOT to check these out!
- Dying for a great mystery?
#unmask #teen #YAlit #SummerReading #books #mystery #detective #bookclub #crime